Pages

Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Finding Inspiration through Travel -Israel

   I've returned from my trip to Israel with a renewed sense of spirituality, enlightenment and overall joy.  But most of all, I've returned with inspiration.  Of course I found inspiration in the land and the people of Israel - but mostly, I found inspiration in the people that I traveled with.
   Birthright is this amazing gift that is given to young American Jews.  We are given the opportunity to travel for 12 days to a land that our ancestors DREAMED of (they say this continually throughout the trip) - but it really does ring true.  We should never take for granted the fact that a whole bunch of rich, Jewish Americans decided that it's important for us to visit our homeland and discover our roots...for FREE.  From ages 18-26, we're encouraged to travel back to Israel, see Jerusalem, Haifa, Tel Aviv, the border of Gaza, and find some spiritual renewal.  For me, I'm already spiritually renewed.  I actually officially converted to Judaism a little over a year ago after being raised Catholic and hating it the entire time.  At 12 years old I was asking my parents why I couldn't be Jewish. (Their response was, you can choose whatever religion you want when you're an adult...and I did) Of course seeing the Western Wall and visiting Yad Vashem was meaningful for me in finding my faith.  But the entire time, I found myself still thinking about my business (obviously) and also learning from the other people in my group what an amazing, talented, group we were.
    First off, I was inspired by the group of people who lived so freely.  People who found work where they traveled, nomads who created their destiny wherever they ended up.  My neurotic New Yorker nature would have a hard-time with this lifestyle, but of course, I envy it.  The ability to just live care-free and say, "I can find work where I go, I can make something of myself, and I can see the world while doing it."  PLENTY of entrepreneur's take this exact risk.  They drop their neuroses, quit their jobs and LIVE by believing in themselves, and their aspirations.  I'm still moonlighting, and teetering on the edge of letting go.  Being in Israel definitely reminded me that there is so much in the world to see, and often, work holds you back from that.
    Then there were the artists & musicians & actors.  There was Dom who has been touring with his band since he was 13 years old, Maxx who was humble about his background but actually has a quite intense reel of movies he's been in, and Meghan who is doing some fantastic photography and videography work in NYC. These are people - living their dreams.  We're often all so scared of taking the leap and saying, "I love [art/music/poetry], but I could never make a living doing it - I'll go sell something instead."  I did this.  I loved art.  I loved fashion design.  But after college - I said, "I'm going to be practical", and I found a job in merchandise planning. Am I regretful? No.  I've always been practical, I enjoy making money, and quite frankly, I enjoy living the lifestyle that I'm able to do with a steady job.  But again - there is this pull - this energy- that is telling me, there is more to life than money, and some SATC lifestyle that you aspired for at a young age.  I'm not so sure that it was Israel, or my Judaism that made me realize this.  It was the people I was with.  I was INSPIRED by their strength and dedication to their passions.
      Finally, there were the soldiers.  The men and women who from 18 years old are forced to spend 2-3 years serving their country in the IDF.  I could spend days writing about how inspiring it is to see EVERY citizen (or nearly every citizen) have to help their country succeed through the military. I think it matures you quickly, and gives a well needed break from school before heading back into college.  It helps you realize where your passions lie, what you want to commit to, and what life is really all about. It's INSPIRING to see young people have such a love for their country.  I wish more Americans loved what we are given.
    And then there are the conversations that we had. The awe inspiring, meaningful, life-changing discussions that helped us to realize our hopes and dreams.  While traveling through this awesome, gorgeous, beautiful, country - we were encouraged to share our feelings (sometimes more thoughts than we wanted, or really needed to know) and it was so beautiful to hear everyone talk so candidly about their emotions, their dreams, their fears, their aspirations, their failures and their lives. 

So here is how I'm going to take my inspirations from Israel back to my life in NYC:

Travel MORE.  Take your vacation, see how others live, and grow from it. Traveling puts your life into a different perspective, makes you realize things you didn't see before, and can create amazing opportunities for growth (emotionally, physically, spiritually - AND in your business!)

Take more RISKS:  In my personal life, I've taken a risk.  I leaped, I fell and I'm happily climbing upwards.  But in my business, I am still standing at the edge, not quite ready to jump.  I'm not going to jump until I'm ready, but I'm certainly closer to the edge than I was before.

Believe in Yourself - Now it's not that I didn't believe in myself before.  I DID!  But often, when you see other people fulfilling their dreams, it pushes you to trust yourself even more.  Know thyself, know what's right, and know that whatever happens, it is meant to be.  You must be your biggest cheerleader, or your neurotic New Yorker will get in your way.

Make New Friends, But Keep the Old - It was astonishing to me that I could grow so close to people in a period of 12 days.  I learned a LOT about friendship and trust through this trip.  Sometimes, your new friends have your back more than your old do.  But often times, your old friends might know what's best for you.  Even if it doesn't seem like they have your best interest at heart at first, think on a grander scheme.  Your friends are all there for you for a reason.

My horoscope the day before I left said "You will meet someone in your travels who will change your life."  I can honestly say that Yes - there was someone who changed my life.  But in the broader perspective I met over 50 people who changed my life.  In fact, I think the person who changed my life was ME.  I was confronted by my truest, most honest self - who reflected back at me and said: "Change your Life".  I'm SO glad I did, and I can't wait to see what life (and travels) bring me next.





No comments:

Post a Comment